Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Philosophy of the day

I don't know about you, but to this day I love comic strips. Granted, today they politically correct and political. When I was little though, they were enjoyable and relatable. My favorite strip is Peanuts (because, you all know Snoopy was the greatest dog ever.). Snoopy aside, the most relatable character for me has always been Sally. She is this smart little girl who doesn't fit in and struggles with the guys. (Not that I struggle mind you, just am unlucky). Sally had a philosophy for everything though, even dogs and banjos (still waiting for mine by the way).


Who can't relate to her? So, today I will share a thought, dare I say a philosophy, that I had today. 

I purpose that there are two types of people in the world, those who care about themselves and those who do not.
Think about it. Really. See, me, I am second type of person. I worry about others, and look out for them, and don't seek to make life about me. And the other type? They care about themselves and while they may 'care' about their friends, who are usually the second type, that's more out of how it would benefit them. 
Take those popular people you know, (also those portrayed stereotypically in movies) why are they popular? Because they do not care about you. They live for themselves and concern themselves with how life can be made to please them, and the over flow to this is that they attract people who care about others and an uncaring person likes to be taken care of so they associate with the caring person. But the people they are seen with are usually the friends of the same type, namely uncaring with uncaring cause the popular person wants to be seen with someone who is 'cool' because they are too cool to care. 

Is this a perfect theory? No, not yet, but I am still working it out. Granted, there are always exceptions to the rules. There are popular people who do care about someone other than themself. But when push comes to shove does that person ever go out of their way to help their friends? Not usually. 
I get it, life is busy, you don't have time to worry about everyone in your life. But maybe you should. Where will you be in a few years? Successful, career, maybe even a spouse. Then you look around and realize you have no real friends, and things will happen and you will have no one to be there and support you. Maybe then you might think to look up the people you know care about you but you couldn't be bothered to make the effort with until you needed them. 

Take a look around. See those people who have always been there for you. The friends who don't dress up as nice as you do, but maybe that's because they were busy helping someone and didn't have time to match their outfit. The friend who skipped dinner because you forgot something and they picked it up for you. Remember that when they are pushed aside and are all alone they are fine, they can take care of themselves. But, maybe they are lonely and sad and wish they had someone who wanted them around just to be with them and not because they needed their help. 

Break my theory please. Prove me wrong. Maybe if we all stopped thinking about our own petty lives and started investing in others we could make a difference. 

Break your mirror and look out the window. Step outside of yourself and look at that friend who has always been there when you needed them and this time- you be there for them.

Stop taking people for granted. Nothing in life is guaranteed so don't waste it on yourself.

1 comment:

Quan said...

I thought this was supposed to be updated daily...